The #ConnectorsWhoCare Thrive Guide - Seventh Edition
Posted by The O'Connor Group on July 28, 2020
Can you believe it's almost August?
The summer days are flying by, but we are lucky to enjoy the sunshine and our families during this pandemic. Although the days seem to blend together, we are here to remind you to take time for yourself! Go on vacation... put your phone away, and unwind. There are so many fun places to explore without getting on an airplane! If you do decide to go to an airport – we thought you might like to watch this! Check out Airbnb or Vrbo and be amazed at their ability to connect you with places that you didn't know existed! Staycations are amazing, too!
Don't forget...you will be a better partner, spouse, parent, friend, boss, and employee if you take care of yourself!
Join us for Talent Talks!
Calling all talent leaders! Are you ready to connect with others to discuss COVID-19's impact on the hiring goals at your organization? You are in luck! Join us for Talent Talks, a virtual series, that enables strategic, professional talent leaders to share new struggles and solutions as our world is transformed.
Next Meeting Date: Thursday, August 6th at 8:30 AM ET
Register here and receive links for all bi-monthly meetings
Tip #1: Eat Fresh & Shop Local!
1) The Lancaster County Farmer’s Market in Wayne has everything from flowers to candy, baked goods, meat & dairy products, and so much more! Visit them Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays from 6 AM-4 PM. We promise you won’t be disappointed!
2) The Ardmore Farmer’s Market right in Suburban Square features DiBruno Brothers (our favorite!) and has other amazing vendors with really good sushi, seafood, cheeses, and more! They are conveniently open 7 days a week, so visit them the next time you find yourself shopping in Suburban Square!
3) The Upper Merion Farmer’s Market in King of Prussia is open every Saturday from 10 AM-12:30 PM (limited hours because of COVID). They feature a ton of different vendors each week that sell skincare, jewelry, donuts, and more along with the usual farmer’s market staples. Check them out for a true outdoor farmer’s market experience!
4) Hanging down the shore for the summer? The Sea Isle City, NJ Farmers Market can't be beaten! Every Tuesday morning from June 23rd through September 1st at Excursion Park, JFK Blvd. & Pleasure Ave., visitors and residents are encouraged to browse and shop a variety of local produce and vendors. Guests can grab a cup of coffee and check out more than 30 vendors before hitting the beach, making it the perfect Tuesday morning ritual.
Tip #2: DOL Updates FMLA Forms and Issues Additional Return-to-Work Guidance
The U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) has updated some Family and Medical Leave Act forms for employers and employees. These updated forms are simpler and easier for everyone to use and offer an electronic signature option to reduce contact. The DOL also published a request for information for employees and employers to give feedback. Read more details here.
Under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA), employers of 500 employees or less are required to provide up to 80 hours of paid sick leave for employees exposed to COVID-19, required to quarantine, or not able to work (remotely or in-office) due to the closure of their child’s school/daycare. The FFCRA also grants parents up to 12 weeks of FMLA leave (10 paid weeks) if their child’s place of care is closed. Read the full article here.
Tip #3: Wellness Tip - City Fitness’ Summer Camp!
City Fitness is offering a wide variety of classes with their Summer Camp! This camp takes their workouts (yoga, cycling, HIIT, barre, & more!) outside so that you can remain safe and socially distant. With over 100 classes a week at three different locations across the city in East Market, Fishtown, and South Philly, you need to check it out!
Tip #4: Friends of the Firm
1) Our friend Cheryl Beth Kulcher at CEO Think Tank passed us along some great resources from Xerox. Watch this workshop on how to keep collaborating remotely. This workshop outlines what you and your coworkers can do to collaborate effectively, keep the culture positive, and remain united as a team. Also, read this interesting article on “The Future of Work in a Pandemic Era”.
2) In today's "new reality," the success of your personal and professional brand is determined by how you show up on video. The key is having the comfort, strategy, and skill set to make video-based events an experience that is positive and productive and establishes your image and reputation as a leader. Women in Bio – Philly Metro will be holding an interactive webinar on August 13th presented by, Dr. Laura Sicola, who will share essential strategies to project confidence and authority whether pitching your company to investors, talking to clients, or closing major deals from afar. Register here and learn more about how you can get involved with WIB here!
3) We were lucky to have our friend Jeff Hoffman join us for our virtual Quarterly Town Hall meeting last week, and he did not disappoint! He talked to us the three things that businesses need to be focusing on during the pandemic: Repurposing, Retooling, and Redeploying...and boy is he right. He sure knows how to motivate a team and we are ready to take on Q3! Check out his latest interview with mindvalley on the Super Humans at Work podcast and check out all of his amazing work at the Global Entrepreneur Network here!
Tip #5: Virtual Tutoring for Back to School
At Home Academics is here to help you navigate sending your children back to school amidst the pandemic. This service matches your child with a tutor that fits their needs and strives to take the stress and pressure off of parents who have been forced to take on the role of teacher at home. Their applications are on hold at the moment, but stay updated to take advantage of this awesome service!
Like many of you, our team consists of many parents trying to work and keep their children occupied simultaneously. It's hard. There is no other way to put it! We are loving this article from Goop on how to keep your kids busy with virtual classes, day camps, and more! Don't forget to be patient and flexible with your employees!
Join us for Ask HR Office Hours!
Our Zoom line is open and we are here to help answer all of your HR questions next Thursday, August 6th from 3-4 PM EST. Jump on for the entire hour to hear the latest in the HR world, or join at any point to have your question answered. We hope you can make it - Register here!
Did you know... that if you want the best people, you should start with ours?!
This week we want to highlight our amazing recruiting team. The O'Connor Group's unique Talent Acquisition model helps organizations through the entire process, from sourcing through the new hire's first day. We focus on finding out what your company really needs...and listen to you! Not to mention, we consistently save companies 40-60% of their recruiting costs. Who would have thought recruiting could be so painless and affordable!?
This information is provided for informational purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice. The O’Connor Group makes no representations as to the completeness, suitability, or validity of any information contained herein and will not be liable for any errors or omissions.